EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Peter Bi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 14:34:28 -0700
CDM

--- Cold Dark Matter :-)

The universe is supposed to consist of dark matters that
can't be observed directly but through their
gravitational force on the motions of galaxies, stars
and those "visible" matters. The ratio between dark
matter and visible matter is at least 10.

Why is it called "cold" ? Yes, there is a "hot" dark
matter which actually was proposed before the "cold"
ones. For instance, if one of the neutrino types has
finish mass, (usually, neutrino has no mass, just like
light--photons) the universe would be controled by
the "hot" dark matter. But "hot" matters prodict too few
galaxies and stars than what observed. So the only
posible candidate is cold.

Up to several years ago before I left the field, all
cosmological observations are in consistent with the
cold dark matter hypothesis.

Have fun!

Peter Bi