EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Simon DeDeo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 10:14:54 -0400
Archie Henderson, Wayne, Joe Safdie and other listfolks --

        I've had a bunch of requests for a reference
to the Perloff essay on numerology in the works of Yeats
and Khlebnikov, and modernism in general. I encountered
it in her book, _Poetic License: Essays on Modernist and
Postmodernist Lyric_, where there is also an excellent
essay on Pound's influence in 20th Century American Poetry.
Perloff is a wonderful read; she has the zest of someone
like Kenner, although she's probably a little more restrained,
and does expect you to be familiar with the "alternate
Moderns", which range from the Russian writers of the time
to someone such as Stein.

        If people are unable to get their hands on a copy
of the book itself, I can find the original citation for
the essay, which was reprinted, I think, from a lecture
delivered at a conference. The book's at home right now, so
it will take a day or so.

Best wishes to all,

        Simon

http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~sdedeo/localpapers.html