EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Robert Kibler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 09:49:02 -0600
just as an aside, I was watching "Jeopardy" the other night, when the three contestants were semi-finalists, and so all very smart. Two were teachers--one in High School, one in college. The other was a writer living in Chicago. They knew who penned Moon River, but when faced with a reference to a poem that had something to do with a modern 'wasteland," none could name the author. Is Eliot drifting away from the list of those who are known and studied? Is the modernism he and Pound helped create losing its importance to contemporary students and teachers of arts and literature?

>>> "Jonathan P. Gill" <[log in to unmask]> 03/30 8:39 AM >>>
If you're looking for disguised autobiographies, why not use
Indiscretions?  Or Discretions, for that matter.

Also, Eliot may not be a great letter writer as represented by D.D. Paige,
but Valerie's edition of the early letters, published several years ago,
is a wonder.  Remember: the "low" Eliot shows up almost nowhere else.

Finally, I have often had to troll through many individual indexes of
published volumes of Pound correspondence looking for a single item.  Any
interest out there in a collective index to Pound's published letters?  It
wouldn't be much work, I guess.  But it may be legally problematic in
terms of publisher rights.

Jonathan Gill