EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Jacob Korg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 16:57:51 -0800
Dear Jason:
        Yes, I think there are the elements of a controversy here.
Schneidau, and Grieve following him, have strongly attacked the "visual"
approach to Imagism, but comment in Poetry magazine and elsewhere shows
that the Imagists did have a pictorial effect in mind.This may be worth an
article reviewing the situation, but I find Pound writing that the most
"poetic"poetry "seems as if sculpture or painting" were forcing their way
into words, and that art's highest function is to fill the mind with "a
noble profusion of sounds and images" -- EP's review of Yeats' poetry,
Poetry mag, May, 1914. Then, Alice Corbin Henderson's review of Des
Imagistes  -- "Imagism isd essentially a graphic art. . . the visual
element plays an important part inthe poems in this volume"-- Poetry,
October, 1914.
        I will have to look at the Pound-Corbin letters to see whether
Pound challenged her on this.But so far it seems that the Imagists were
not excluding "imagery" in the usual sense or visual impressions.