EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
jason monios <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 17:21:56 PST
To all on the list:

   I've noticed that a lot of discussion on the list tends to be about
the Cantos so  if I may I'd like to re-direct things momentarily and
raise the subject of Imagism/ Vorticism.

      I am curious about current opinion regarding Pound's approach to
the "image" (or his 1914 re-definition of it as a "vortex") as opposed
to the often-encountered notion of Imagism being merely a bunch of
pretty pictures with no potential as far as the composition of serious
poetry is concerned.

    I've read whatever books I could get my hands on relating to the
subject (though there were a couple I couldn't locate) and of course
there is no lack of books on the London years in general and the
development through E.P's early volumes (e.g. Witemeyer, De Nagy,
Schneidau, Grieve). I am interested in what list members think about the
topic. Do people feel that it has been covered adequately? Has it been
done to death or is there room for reconsideration, particularly as
regards its potential as a system of guidelines for (current) aspiring
writers? Is it still valid or is it merely a curiosity of literary
history?

                         Thanks in advance,

                                      Jason Monios