EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
antje pfannkuchen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 02:11:35 +0200
From your comments and from what I know about the American university
system I understand that it is there as it is probably everywhere: there
are always such and such professors and this is probably best because there
are also such and such students. Maybe the German system is still at some
points a bit more patriarchal than the American. On the other hand: you
don't have to pay for it which gives you much more freedom for a longer,
slower way of studying by which you can really find your own way of
thinking if you want to. But here also are not only a few of the sort of
students who are rather being told what to think, it's just so much less of
an effort for the student as well as for the professor. And there'll always
be students who are just studying for a degree as well as there'll be
professors who just do their job.
But if we talk about ideology there is actually one thing about American
Universities/society that I don't understand at all (even at the risk of
stirring up a hornet's nest): political correctness and that all these
presumably liberal intellectuals don't see that this is merely ideology at
it's best.

Antje Pfannkuchen

PS: To return to the original question of what kind of course to teach:
best would be both and I'm sure there could be an audience for both of them.