EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
pcockram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 00:32:20 -0500
Dan,
I agree but would like to suggest that, however repugnant some of the thinking
may be to us reading Pound (or Eliot) now, it is not just that it impinges.
Indeed, what is so problematic for many of us is that it does not spoil the
work; it sometimes contributes to its power, hard as that may be to
reconcile.  The same righteous fury that drives the rhythms and gives the
lyric intensity to "Hugh Selwyn Mauberly IV" or Canto XLV inspired poetry (and
non-poetic ejaculations) of equal force -- and sometimes beauty -- whose
content gives us pause.
    It was Pound who equated sincerity with technique.  His anti-semitic
obsession was wrongheaded, if not pathological, but he was sincere, and that
is one reason so much of his work is both beautiful and disturbing.

Best regards,
Patricia