EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 11:49:38 -0700
He was a fascist. So one may infer that talking about the Pisan Cantos
or anything else Pound wrote as poetry (an act which has been an
uncommon accident on this list) is at best, sheer sentimentality--since
there is after all more judgment to be heaped upon Pound's already
well-ballasted but not yet fully loaded head.(Yes but he was an
antisemite) Better to talk about how we have talked, are talking or will
someday talk about talking about Pound's work. (Yeah but he was a
fascist and an antisemite, first we need to get that resolved) Or not.

Indeed we might engage in a thoroughly reckless discussion of all those
historical allusions in the Pisan Cantos (but it would be irresponsible
of us not to mention that he was a fascist and an antisemite I mean
that's why he was in the cage, right? People on this list need to
understand Pound was a fascist and an antisemite, right? So once we have
somehow established this in a manner never before done since Pisan
Cantos was awarded the Bollingen prize, and perhaps even *moreso* than
that we can talk about the Cantos and all that that other shit he wrote.
But don't forget: Pound was a fascist.And an antisemite.)

I have almost daily contact with someone who guarded Pound(the fascist,
the antisemite) while he was in the cage in Pisa. He has shared numerous
anecdotes about that period and about his brief friendship with Pound
(the fascist, the antisemite) and his time as part of the Army provost
in postwar Italy. I asked him if he would be interested in contributing
to the list--he said he wanted to take a look first. His response, after
observing the interaction and overall predominance of subject matter was
simply this:

"They sure do love their secondary sources, don't they?"

GAVIN