EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 10:02:24 -0500
From the context, which is "the problem of race" (Pound's phrase) I don't think "murderer" is likely.
I supposed Pound was alluding to the Shashai because in the Book of Ezra they are listed among those who had been found guilty of intermarriage:

"Then Ezra the priest stood up and said to them
'You have been unfaithful; you have married foreign women,
adding to Israel's guilt.'
The whole assembly responded with a loud voice:
'You are right! We must do as you say.
But there are many people here and
it is the rainy season; so we cannot stand outside.'"
 (10:10-13)

Though, if my supposition is correct, I don't know why the Shashai have been singled out from a rather lengthy list of men who were said to have angered the God of their fathers by taking foreign wives.

Tim Romano