EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 14:23:24 -0500
Jonathan,
I was reading the plural noun to mean "the descendants of Shashai". You're suggesting the plural might mean "followers of Hjalmar Schacht"? Is there a racial aspect to his economics? If not, then to bring his name up would be a non-sequitur. Not that Pound eschews the non-sequitur.

I assume SHASHAI would be pronounced shas-Xai (where X = a velar fricative).  A listening might help, to hear how Pound pronounces the word, to see if he says shas-Xan or shas-Kan.

ALso, there's no indication in Doob of any problem with the manuscript; and Pound knows enough German to know how to make plurals of German nouns; in this instance, the plural would be 'Schachten'.

Tim Romano