EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Jonathan Morse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 02:18:31 -1000
This thread must be boring everybody, and from my end I'm going to cut it.
Here goes, then:

1. Lee Lady wrote:

>But presumably, everything we discuss should somehow relate to Ezra
>Pound.  My assumption would be that if someone posts a long book review
>to the list which talks about violence against Jews and desecration of
>Jewish cemeteries, then there is an implication that this has something
>to do with EP.  Since the connection was not explicitly stated, we are
>left to make our own inferences.  I wondered whether the poster of the
>message was suggesting that Pound was somehow responsible for the acts
>of violence referred to.

2. The poster of the message had written:

>The discussion of the Talmud in the following review may interest members
>of this list, given Pound's slightly later obsessions with both the Talmud
>and _The Protocols of the Elders of Zion_.

3. That was the poster's message in its entirety. It was intended to
communicate the following:

>The discussion of the Talmud in the following review may interest members
>of this list, given Pound's slightly later obsessions with both the Talmud
>and _The Protocols of the Elders of Zion_.

4. It may be noticed that the subject of that sentence is "discussion of
the Talmud."

5. The Talmud, a compilation of commentaries on the Bible, codifies Jewish
law. If you've seen a page of the printed text, you've noticed some
interesting similarities to and differences from the typography of _The
Cantos_. Pound may have noticed; in one of his hospital conversations with
the psychiatrist Jerome Kavka, he remarks, "The Bible and the Talmud are
anthologies." Considering the weight that the word "anthology" carries in
Pound's vocabulary, I think that's interesting.

But Pound's usual language about the Talmud is at the level of ignorant
cliche. I think that's interesting too -- especially when the sources and
shared content of the cliche are considered. Would anyone care to discuss
that? Are Reed Way Dasenbrock and  Robert Casillo mentionable on this list?

Jonathan Morse