EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"A. David Moody" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
A. David Moody
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 10:54:41 -0700
En Lin Wei wrote at some length in two posts that Pound had altered the
character chung1 to make it resemble a swastika in his "Communications" in
*Townsman* II.6 (April 1939) 12.  Look it up he said, and see for yourself.
I did, in *EP's Poetry & Prose: Contributions to Periodicals*, VII, 438-9,
and reported (on 4 July) what is to be found there--no swastika, simply the
character as it appears in The Cantos 70/413.  He now asserts that in his
"reduced photocopy, with the [two page] text on one page", the character
chung1 "does NOT look like the character on page 413 of the Cantos".  It
resembles "a fasces", he now says, (but meaning, I take it, a swastika).

The resolution of our difference must lie in the original *Townsman*, which
I won't be able to check out for some time.  It would appear though that
either the character has been altered in Mr Wei's copy, or it has been
altered in *EP's P&P: CP*.  The latter possibility is the more worrying, and
if someone could give an authoritative reassurance that it has no it would
be much appreciated.

David Moody