EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"A. David Moody" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
A. David Moody
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 11:41:37 -0800
Heaney's answer to your problem is perhaps in his introduction
(pp.xxvi-xxvii in Faber ed.).  He wanted the verse 'to be speakable by one
of those [big-voiced]relatives' of  his father, to be in 'Hiberno-English
Scullion-speak'.  Many of us would need to hear it read in that voice before
we could hear it for ourselves.  I could not hear Lowell's verse until I
heard his reading of it.  To hear Bunting read was also an ear-opener.

On another tack: to so Irish the Anglo-Saxon is, I suppose, an act of
conscious cultural appropriation?

David Moody