EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
K Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 17:48:44 -0800
Steven, I wanted to comment on your reading The Cantos cover to cover.
I would suggest choosing just one section of the Cantos instead and focusing all of your research
on that.  A couple of years ago, as a beginner, I tried to read them in their entirety because I
wanted to study the overall form.  But much more satisfying than studying the form of the entire
thing is reading, re-reading, researching, re-reading, and meditating only a few.

Of course there is merit in studying them cover to cover.  But this other route would be a better
option for those of us who aren't familiar with all of the classics, Pound's translation of
Confucianism, Pound's life in detail, the politics and history of the Jeffersonian era in the
United States and Mussolini's efforts in Italy....  Yes, it's possible to do the research and
appreciate the epic cover to cover, but it might be more immediately satisfying to focus on just a
few cantos or one.

This would make sense to Pound considering his interest in studying the Chinese classics.  One
common approach to studying the Chinese classics is memorization and contemplation of the text.
So take one canto, for example.  Read it, memorize it, then grab The Companion by Terrell to find
four to five works and a biography of Pound (or several excerpts from biographies about him when
he wrote it).  Contemplate the one memorized canto as you read the background material, recite it
and contemplate it again and again as you learn more background material.  By doing this, you
experience much more about Pound's style and his vision than from scattered research and a quick
scan of all of the Cantos.

Best Wishes,
Kristen Stevens