EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 18:33:00 -0400
8bit
From:
"R.Gancie/C.Parcelli" <[log in to unmask]>
Charlie,

James Jesus Angleton was a long time CIA spook whose specialty was
security and the interrogation of defectors. As a result of the
Doolittle Commission he secured the position of reviewing CIA
clandestine operations and Allen Dulles appointed him to head the
Counterintelligence Staff. He was responsible for determining whether
there were Soviet moles in the CIA after the defection of Anatoliy
Golitsyn. Angleton saw betrayal and treachery everywhere and is credited
with a series of paranoid purges that mercifully set the Agency back a
number of years and doubtlessly yet unintentionally saved thousands of
lives of nationalists, educators, human rights advocates, clerics etc.
around the world.

When a young man Angleton fancied himself a poet and was associated with
a magazine (I want to say the Criterion because of the neat ideological
fit-  but I'm not sure.) He admired Pound's poetry and, given A.'s
anti-democratic tendencies on behalf of the world's most ironic
democracy, admired Pound's politics too. After all A. was part of the
organization that when it was the OSS rearmed and politically
resurrected fascists after World War II all the way from Vietnam to
Sicily. CP

I can get you more when I get home tonight or you can get more online. I
hardily recommend my friend Lucio Bennedetto's site called Gonzo Links
for further study in such matters.

--
ÐÏ à¡± á