EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
bob scheetz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 23:29:24 -0500
Erik,
     Regarding typewriters, i.e. technology's formal effect
on "writing", there's Nietzsche's famous saying that he
philosophized "with a hammer;" punning on the mechanism
of the typewriter, but meaning the iconoclastic force of his exposition.

So... The animistic notion of technology is really just
a old red-herring, arising from the bourgeois
fetishizing of technology, trotted out biennially by
the latest photogenic "intellectual sex-pot" like McLuhan.
There is no essential effect.

Similarly, the question regarding the influence of Pound's
Cantos,  seems also to imply a suspect notion of literary influence:
bourgeois reification, copyright, of that (the platonic)
which can't be commodified.  And, where it occurs,
(as in say, Browning's influence of Pound) this type of influence
is just trivial, footnote-ish stuff.

The essence of the Cantos is, as we say today, deconstruction;
and its thematic well as stylistic is the
logically necessary outcome of an attempt at
radical platonic exposition,
the laying open human truth
sans embellishment (the hallowed paltry dodges,
metaphysical and  rhetorical); that's to say, an
anti-art art...the diabolical inversion of "art pour l'art,"
or nihil-ation.

But, having once seen this, the inexorable hermeneutical
progression is to thematize, metaforize, totalize,
...nso on, IT ("deconstruction");
which, as we used to say, is the box we're in today,
"the wind which will not subside."
The Cantos poetizes the wind which we all feel.
...'n everbody's doin it, no?
So do we more properly speak of the influence
of The Cantos or the zietgiest?
What could literary influence possibly mean here?
...simply running on interminably and incomprehensibly
in vers libre about nothing?
...Jerry Seinfeld?
don't know?
thanks