EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Daniel Pearlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 20:57:56 -0500

>[Tim Romano writes:] The subject we've been discussing, in that it
impinges upon the horrors of the holocaust, is an emotional one, and the
attempts to demonize Pound (Morse, in my opinion), or conversely, the
effort not to do so by separating the EVIL THINGS he did from his poetry
thereby confining oneself to the heart's Clean Room (Dan Pearlman's
compartmentalism) are natural, fully understandable emotional responses to
that legacy.>

Tim,

I think it important to recognize that I do not separate his evil from
his poetry; where it impinges, it impinges, and there isn't any Clean
Room I'd confine myself or Pound to.  What I'd like you to recognize
is the juxtaposition of moral incompatibles in all of us, and sometimes
in our works, so that our works sometimes get spoiled in part or in
whole.  It is the attitude of the Political Correctionists among
today's litcrits that needs to see things in terms of black and white.
I've never thrown out a good glass of wine because a tiny fly landed
in it.  (On the other hand, if it's a horsefly ...)

==Dan CleanRoom Pearlman
HOME:
Dan Pearlman
102 Blackstone Blvd. #5