EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 06:49:25 -0400
David,
We're not that far apart even where we may seem to be in disagreement. Note,
that I said that the polemical prose works are integral to an understanding
of _the exemplars_ in the Cantos. Understanding and appreciation and
evaluation of a poem demands more than an understanding of its allusions and
themes, of course. A poem cannot be reduced to paraphrase or explication. On
these matters, I'm sure we agree. One may fairly think of the prose works as
a key to the themes in the Cantos as they are embodied in the exemplars, but
by no means as a substitute for the poetry itself.

It is better, I think, that the the Cantos be read in the light of the
polemical works, and vice versa, than that either stand alone. To erect a
"Chinese wall" between them opens the door for critics to speak of the one
or the other in isolation, and that is likely to result in distortions.

Tim Romano