EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Richard Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 10:53:43 -0000
Sorry, now I'm really showing my iggurrance: what is "the ever-invaluable
Poetry and Prose"? Can you give us a flavour of what we will find if we turn
up the references?

(Please believe I do not ask out of laziness; I simply don't know the book
and doubt I shall be able to track it down in the near future).

I agree with the reservation implied in your phrase "the supposedly
simultaneous image". I would say that in so far as this notion of supposed
simultaneity continues into the method of the Cantos (and it is of course
inherent in the ideographic method), it is one of the reasons why the Cantos
"fail" at a structural level. A poem, least of all an epic poem, cannot have
its effect in an instant of time. It cannot be an object of contemplation
like a great crystal or "acorn of light".

Richard Edwards