EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Ben.Harper" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2003 23:25:06 +1000
Is it this one?

"During 1916 he offered another project to Macmillan, a ten-volume
anthology of world poetry, for which he composed a thoroughly impressive
scenario in the office of the literary agent A.P. Watt.  Unfortunately he
included in it the statement 'It is time we had something to replace that
doddard Palgrave.'  As the Macmillan fortunes were founded on the success
of Palgrave's 'Golden Treasury', they turned down the proposal."
Humphrey Carpenter, A Serious Character, part 2 Chapter 18, pp.308-309.

Carpenter cites Noel Stock's biography as the source: the beginning of
chapter 12 of that book describes the same story, adding that after being
rejected by Macmillan Pound tried to interest OUP, but was again rejected
on the grounds of wartime restrictions (this was 1916-17).  No indication
if the outline survives.