EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 12:05:27 -0600
From:
Von Underwood <[log in to unmask]>
Perhaps the point is that abducting Dionysus can't work, and that
prohibition (as an adbuction of the God for some exchange, as Pound
might see a number of matters of contemporary public policy) would be a
failure to recognize the deep roots of wine-must in matters of which the
modern world has lost its comprehension. So many of the positive points
isolated in Pound's methods exist in a kind of contrast to their absence in
the material processes of social reality that it has often seemed to me that
the Cantos are all about current events, or current non-eventfulness. The
cantos so resist summary that its hard to think that the second Canto is
about prohibition, but it is interesting to think that the abduction of
Dionysus might be thought to have a contextual resonance.