EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 11:52:20 -0600
From:
Von Underwood <[log in to unmask]>
Pound's remark in 1913 is of course interesting, but Kandinsky had already
painted in 1910 what some take to be the first non-represntational paintings
of the modernist movement, though this does not quite do justice to cubist
work in France, and the work of some futurists. Kandinsky's "Concerning
the Spiritual in Art" says a lot about the effects of color as a spiritual
"note." I suppose the point is that Pound is partly reacting to things in the
art world, and not prophetically predicting something never seen before. I
want to add that as such statements were being made, the speakers often
found them re-understanding the art of the past, realizing that it was never
really representatinal in the weay some had taken it to be in any very
convincing sense. I haven't said this very well, but I suppose I just wanted
to point out that 1913 is early in relation to Rothko, but not all that early in
relation to Kandinsky and others.