EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
En Lin Wei <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 06:51:27 GMT
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

<<Subject: Re: Pound's Fascism did NOT stem from anti-communism; the REVERSE
is
         true>>

<<Wei,
You suggested several days ago that Pound was a "subject"  -- that is, under
the thumb of fascist  totalitarian mind-control>>

I did not say that Pound was "under the thumb of fascist totalitarian mind
control . . ."  My consistent position has been that Pound CHOSE to believe
in fascism and CHOSE to believe in the party line.   His commitment to
fascism, as a system of belief was freely selected; the general assent to
fascist propositions and policies was made as a free will decision.

When I say that,

>Pound's numerous denunciations of Stalin, during 1943 and 1944 were the
>simple reflex actions to the dictates of fascist centers of propaganda in
>Berlin and Rome.

I describe a well known psychological phenomenon, which occurs in many
individuals who begin to think with ideological blinders.  Thought becomes
REFLEXIVE, rather than reflective.

<<I had written that "Pound would have been content to remain an
'aristo-democrat' had the threat of world communism not arisen. He found
communism abhorrent, and his anti-communism was integral to the support he
gave the fascist cause.">>

So are you implying that Pound would have remained an Aristo-Democrat and
that he would NOT HAVE BECOME A FASCIST if he had not been worried about the
threat of World Communism?

This is an important point I think.  I stated,

>>I defy anyone to find any quote prior to 1940 where Pound expresses any
>>strong anti-communist sentiments, in the form of a reasoned argument, or
>>even in an off hand comment.

I apologize that this was stated somewhat beligerently, and I also admit
that I was wrong to imply that nothing anti-communist was written before
1940.

You replied:

<<Let me address first my claim that  Pound was, at heart, an
"aristo-democrat" who would have been content to remain so had it not been
for the threat of world-communism, and its effect upon his native land. He