EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Bill Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 13:53:46 -0500
Dear Jay,

Regarding Balkan folk music... The Bulgarian State Radio and Television Female
Vocal Choir has an interesting collection on Elektra/Nonesuch's Explorer Series
titled "Le Mystere Des Voix Bulgares" and may have done a second album.

The Pennywhistlers, a women's vocal group from the sixties, has several wonderful
albums, including "Folk Songs of Eastern Europe" and "Songs of the Earth" with
Theodore Bikel.  I'm sorry to say I do not know if they are still available.

Instrumentally, the Irish musician Andy Ervine has done some wonderful recording
of Eastern-European dance tunes with very complex rythyms.  Green Linnet and
Shanachie Records are two major Irish labels.  Folk Legacy also has a large
catalog, and the Smithsonian took over the Folkways archives which should include
some Balkan music.

I hope this is helpful.

Bill Wagner