EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Robert Kibler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 09:43:10 -0500
Thank-you so much for your reply Alex--and I will read the lawyer's account, and take another look at Torrey's.  It has been years since I read it, but I think in one sense I felt that he was deliverying more of the 'real life' Pound, rather than the literary Pound.  Details such as Pound laying on the floor in the shrink's office, and of Dorothy staying in a little hotel room across the street.  The operations and the health issues.  I also liked the idea of a poet who had lived near the poverty line most of his life finally getting something of paradise through what had been a societal attempt at punishment.  Torrey certainly delivers Pound's St Elisabeth's as countryclub--with attentive students from allover the world at his feet, tennis courts, young adoring women in his room, the library of Congress nearby--it did seem almost like a perverse state patronage of the arts and of the artist.  Perhaps  I took Torrey's bait.
      You have my address right, apparently, because this missive got through.  There is an underscore _ between  by first and last name.  It has to be there for messages to come and go.

"This world is but a single dewdrop, set
trembling upon a stem ;  and yet . . . and yet . . ."
                                              from "The Autumn Cricket,"
                                             17th cent. Japanese Noh play

Robert E. Kibler, Ph.D.
Department of Communication Arts