EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Jay Anania <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 23:09:38 EDT
As Browning and Pound had their own Sordello, so all on this list have their
own Pound, their own responses to the poems.  I have mine (he changes shape
now and again, but I recognize him always), and  this Pound that I know is in
every conceivable way the absolute polar opposite of one such as would use
foreign languages to show off.
And to describe  Pound's sound as 'atonal' is so staggeringly off the mark
that their is no calm reply, other than to wonder how Carolyn See got
assigned this piece in the first place.
As regards the passionate denunciation of the corporate carrot that governs
editorials in the Post and such-like mammoths, I would like to suggest that
the pressures (willingly self-imposed by editors) are not strictly political
(though the owner's interests are always those of big business), but more
pervasive: they must reflect, no matter how dumb or flat-out wrong they are,
the simplest popular notions:
bombing bad guys=good
people that don't like US=bad guys
big(hormone-fed) cows=the rest of the world is jealous
poetry= sweet but irrelevant
Pound= pompous madman who managed to fool America-envying Europeans (but us
Yanks see through him)
Etc.
From my leftist vantage point large media seems rightwing.  From the other
side the view is the opposite.  But from anywhere on the political spectrum
we must agree that editorial approaches in all media in this country aim at
dumb, simply dumb.  And it works.  Carolyn See wrote what people can grasp.
She should not have been given the assignment.
Jay Anania