EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Joe Brennan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 21:46:46 EDT
In a message dated 8/30/99 8:37:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< It always struck me as elitist snobbery... a kind
 of intellectual showing off, as in "see how many languages I know" ...
 aimed at other people who could devote their lives unravelling puzzles
 so they, too, could show off their erudition. >>

it's hard to think of a less generous reading of pound, and of those who read
pound for the erudition to be found in his work.  the people I know who're
interested in pound do not fit the unkind description noted above.  nor do I
think that many of us have spent the best part of a lifetime just to show off
what we've learned; as a matter of fact not very many people are interested
in what we do.  this type of message exudes a not so profound
anti-intellectual bias, which is a little surprising to find on this list.
apparently Bill thinks that the best defense of Carolyn See & the Post is to
espouse ignorance.

joe brennan...