EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Joe Ahearn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 21:13:17 -0600
If I'm not mistaken, Theodore Roethke also popped Wallace Stevens in the
nose. As I recall, Roethke walked through a door, sighted Stevens, mauled
him, was lifted off, then was carried away by the police within a matter of
a few minutes. Those were the days of the really good parties, apparently.
Did anyone else ever belt Stevens? Perhaps this is a chance to draw up the
canonical list of Stevens-batterers....

At 12:07 PM 11/12/98 -0500, you wrote:
>If I recall from reading Carpenter's biography of Pound, ol' Ez took a
>few boxing lessons from Ernie Hemingway.  Increasingly irritated by
>Pound's frenetic and presumptuous style, Hem finally popped Ez in the
>head and the lessons ended.
>
>Hemingway also credited with breaking Stevens's nose in an
>alcohol-induced quarrel in Key West.
>
>Guess he didn't care for poets.
>
>Joseph Conte
>
>Attachment Converted: "c:\program files\$network\eudora\attach\vcard9.vcf"

Joe Ahearn