EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2003 08:15:25 -0400
Rick,
I didn't say that Egyptian "PET" and English "paradise" were synonyms.
English 'paradise' and English 'heaven' (not 'the heavens') are synonyms to
99.34% of modern native speakers of English.

The primary question for readers of Pound (qua readers of Pound) is what
Kati meant to Pound, not what Kati meant.  If we are trying to understand
what Pound saw in Kati via the Italian translation made by Boris, it
doesn't really matter whether if PET denoted 'apex' or 'sky' in the
original Egyptian.   Kati's statement --as understood by Pound or as
misunderstood by Pound-- fits into the 'paradiso terrestre' ideogram. It
would matter if Pound had been consciously and deliberately mistranslating,
but I don't think he was ("In love with Kati....").

On the subject of word order, where you're making centaurs out of ants, I
wrote that when the COPULA verb is involved, meaning does not hinge on the
order of the predication -- on what nouns appear before or after the
verb.  Just ask Lennon-McCartney: "Love is all you need. All you need is
love." The copula functions like an 'equals' sign. That is not at all like
saying  "inflection doesn't really count in Latin."  Word order can be very
important stylistically and rhetorically -- Boris's starting the sentence
with "Il paradiso" does draw our attention to the word 'paradiso'. But the
core assertion is the same, either way.  "Paradise for a man is his own
good nature"  is  *essentially* the same assertion as "His own good nature
is a man's paradise".

Regards
Tim Romano