EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 2003 16:45:44 -0400
Rick,
The western Christian tradition is the backdrop for Pound's "paradiso
terrestre."   Pound's views represent a radical departure from the
Christian eschatological tradition.

I find Boris's translation to be not all that different from Gardiner's:
'heaven' and 'paradise' are synonyms. Neither man's translation can be
paraphrased as "a pleasant nature is a man's ultimate possession" although
Gardiner, in his note, seems to want to retract or weaken his translation
and move in the direction of that paraphrase:  Heaven = loftiest
point(?).  Gardiner seems uncomfortable with the simple radical statement
in a way that Pound and Boris are not; his note suggests that the statement
is figurative or hyperbolic, whereas Boris takes it quite literally. As
does Pound.

Word order. With the copula verb, the subject of the sentence hardly
matters; it is  a matter of style what words come before the verb and what
words after: the idea is the same in  "A man's heaven is his good nature"
and "A man's good nature is his heaven".

Tim Romano