EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tom White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 14:22:23 -0600
Carrol:
Don't think you are unusual. I think what you were responding to back then
was the same thing that captured ZG: the marvel of "the West," which despite
bad prose he so winningly conveyed. In defense of introducing more about ZG
in a Pound list, I think ZG and LL illustrate something EP talks about in
one of the essays in Impact, namely the value of skilled storytelling
(FMFord was esp. big on this). Pound was instancing detective stories, which
he apparently read in later years. (I know of no mentions of Westerns). I
think the story art can exist apart from Flaubertian writerly excellence. I
did a modest essay on an aspect of this (amateur point of view) I'd be glad
to email, but I do not think it proper to bother the whole list with it. Tom