EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Erik Volpe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 16:11:01 -0700
Tim,
Pound's magic moment or moment of metamorphosis seems at first Ovidian,
but from what you are saying sounds more like Heracleitus by the time
Hugh Selwyn Mauberley is written? Possibly the difference in the
transformation that takes place in early poems like The Tree from the
flux which is presented in   Mauberley symbolizes Pound's turn from
romance poet to political poet. "The poet writes about love and not
about the empire": what happened to that? Heracleitan flux seems to be
what Pound later was trying to sculpt form from. Pound wished to stop
this motion or river, quite the antithesis of a "metamorphosis" that
occurs with no intention of pausing for anyone, let alone a poet. These
transformations, for Ovid and the young Pound, attempt to capture or
mimic the transformation as it is taking place; possibly like a vortex?