EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 09:51:07 -0400
Erik,
Pound's turn from lyric to epic (and the turn has a very wide radius) occurs
during and after the First World War. It is chronicled in the Propertius
poems and in Hugh Selwyn  Mauberley.  The poet-personae are broadening their
attention.  Love becomes intertwined with War. The 'inward gazing' does
continue in The Cantos;  these themes are not abandoned but they occur in a
wider context and involve meditation on historical purpose and duty.

This gradual transition from a focus on one's Place in the Cosmos to one's
Place in History (though with a continued awareness of the cosmic plane) is
not the same thing as a  'metamorphosis' --at least not in the sense in
which Pound uses the word --  the busting through  the quotidian into the
divine and permanent world. Metamorphosis for Pound refers, as you have
indicated, to a psychic phenomenon that occurs with a time-stands-still
suddenness, an epiphany --what you called a 'magic moment.'

Tim Romano