EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Robert Kibler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 22:14:34 -0500
I spent 7 years studying at the University of Minnesota, and many of the grad students and professors quite literally lived and worked as gangs. Professors had followings, and if you happened to take a class while at the same time not adhereing to the dominant ideology--by asking an innocent question from outside of the accepted ideological frame--you were quite literally shunned. If you quite innocently happened to say the right thing, you were embraced.

>>> Daniel Pearlman <[log in to unmask]> 09/02 9:57 PM >>>
In answer to the point you make below, Antje, any ideology--whether
you call it Political Correctness or whatever--that is imposed on
anyone is dangerous, no matter how sweet-smelling.  The old joke is
that of the communist who says, "Comes the revolution, everybody will
eat peaches and cream."  Then somebody answers, meekly, and says, "but
I don't LIKE peaches and cream."  Then our communist answers, "You WILL
eat peaches and cream!"

==DP
-------------------------------------
But if we talk about ideology there is actually one thing about American
Universities/society that I don't understand at all (even at the risk of
stirring up a hornet's nest): political correctness and that all these
presumably liberal intellectuals don't see that this is merely ideology at
it's best.

Antje Pfannkuchen

HOME:
Dan Pearlman