EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2000 14:05:03 -0400
7bit
From:
"R.Gancie/C.Parcelli" <[log in to unmask]>
En Lin Wei,

1) As Joe Brennan has try to point out to you ad nauseam and as the
Cantos should clearly indicate, Pound did not ignore American democacy
as the Jefferson/Adams Cantos indicate. As for the "ideals" of said
democracy, those are better left to campaign slogans and Madison Avenue
borrowing the epistemology of the idealization of the physical world
established by the physical sciences and technology.

2) Let's address your ever so important question as regards American
culture. (Incidentally wise choice to change the agenda from political
history to culture.). In fact there is no connection between American
culture and Pound. American culture is Disney, Coca Cola and pontoon
bridges and airstrips by Bechtel. Pound didn't arise from this culture
of corporate kleptocracy that was born manipulating the delusion that
the US has or ever had ideals. The people who do the manipulating as
elaborated bu Mills, Bernays, Lippmann etal stand above these cultural
concerns. They form an elite. They don't read Pound either.

No one is participating in American culture through reading Pound's
poetry. The money just isn't there and when we speak of a Pound industry
we are largely flattering ourselves as being part of some valuable mode
of production vis a vis the general culture. Clearly, crystal clearly,
Pound was against the corporate manipulation of public sensiblity as
well as the cooption of their labor. So please don't insist we tar the
Cantos as an expression of American culture. Your arguments are
ludicrous. I should make you go on house buys with me as I buy books
from the good citizens inhabiting a world that is supposed to consider
Pound part of its culture. That would cure you of your delusions. Or if
you can't make it, pull out your VISA card, clench it between your teeth
all the while recalling the 19.5% interest that it carries, and try to
read Canto XLV.

On a happier note; last night I got some fan mail that makes allusion to
Pound so I would like to share it with the list. It involves my lonely
campaign against the way American culture has come to help dominate the
current Neo=Georgian style of poetry that our major and small presses so
love and admire.

I received this post:

Dear Mr.Parcelli,
   Read your poem in terza limbo and your essay on Moyer's Movement.
Incidently, the "s" was added to the name by those of our family who
moved
west because they were wanted in the East and Midwest for horse
thievery.
They have progressed greatly.  Willam Bartley III is correct in his
observation that "sometimes the Pennsylvania Dutchman is right", but not
in
this schmeercase.
   For your entertainment - a parody - I owe you one for explaining to
me
why I have been so bored at Border's poetry readings lately, and why
I've
stopped going to them.

CANTICO DEL SOLUS IPSE

The thought of what America would like
 If the Poets had a wide strangulation
              Troubles my sleep,
The thought of what America,
   The thought of what America,
   The thought of what America would be like
      If the Poets had a wide strangulation
                 Troubles my sleep.
     Nunc dimwheaties, now lettest thou thy savant,

       Now lettest thou thy savant
                                     Depart in pieces.
       The thought of what America would be like,
    Etc.

                                   Charlie Moyer