EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
charles moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Dec 2002 12:39:57 -0500
----------
>From: Tom White <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Roma locuta, causa finite.
>Date: Fri, Dec 27, 2002, 9:28 AM
>

> (I thought I sent this message way back in December but just discovered it
> unsent in my drafts. Hope it's still pertinent.)
>
> My guess, off the top as they say, (and I have just read the essays in
> Impact) is that Pound wouldn't (couldn't) fault much S. says as description,
> but the underlying tone of exultation in the advance of the inevitable, in
> triumphant "Destiny," etc., is the kind of thing he didn't like in S., whom
> he someplace said wasn't a patch on Frobenius, at least when it came to
> Germans. The most heartwarming thing about Pound (to me) is that he never
> accepted anything as "inevitable" while breath lasted, in other words while
> men of intelligence and good will could be energized to fight for the right.
> This very much an instant reaction. Will be interested to see what others
> say. Tom White

    Agreed, Tom, I think you can make a good case that Pound held out hope
to the very end. Ironically that would make him very American in the best of
that naive Weltanschauung.
    No index in my "IMPACT: Essays on Ignorance and the Decline of American
Cilvilization". Here we go again to the bottom of the murky pond.

Charles