EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Vito, Derrick" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Dec 2002 12:59:26 -0500
Stoner,
I have but a few things to say, only with the hope of keeping this kind
of discourse alive (let's try to remain civil) and not attempting to
squash it before it gets real life.

First off, I'm neither an academic nor a professional writer. Pound
enthusiast, definitely. But I do not purport to understand him
completely, nor do I ever hope to. I do, however, recognize when
something I read of his moves me. That is unmistakable.

Let me offer you this perspective on the whole concern about defending
the man to protect a profession.

"In contrasting Gaudier's real knowledge (vide Aristotle's fivefold
division later) with the mentality of bureaucracy and of beanery, note
the current practices of latter and causes for.
1. Desire to get and retain job
2. That many scholars write under terror. They are forced to maintain a
pretence of omniscience. This leads to restricting their field of
reference. In a developed philological system they have to know "ALL"
about their subject. Which leads to segregation of minute portions of
that subject for "profounder" investigation. With corollary that any man
who knows where they oil well is, is considered superficial."
Guide To Kulchur, Section II "Vortex", E. Pound.

In my exposure to his writing, Pound has always been critical of
scholars. It is difficult to say whether he would approve of his own
"institutionalization". But let me be clear in the point of my note,
while there are many people who wield Pound in a way that is elitist,
that doesn't need to reflect on his work or the man himself. This is not
to say that Mr. Pound did not approach his writing with great bravado
and chauvinism.

As for killing the attention brought to his works in lieu of placing it
on less notable authors, I don't feel a death needs to occur. Let time
erode away the unnecessary fragments of the bough you see so deeply
mired in the mud.

Regards,
DC Vito