EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
charles moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 07:18:40 -0700
1. Spengler's work (1918) is not a polemic. It is a theory of the cycles of
civilization. He never says that he is yearning for a Caesar. He gives us
the sequence of events in the unfolding of civilizations as he sees them.

2. Pound did not agree with Spengler's conclusion. See Norman's "Ezra Pound"
p.301 and p.372, and Pound's "Patria Mia" p.44 which would be a good work to
examine to see what Pound really thought about America albeit it is early
1913.

3. Fond of Jose Bove? I appreciate his approach and conviction too. It puts
me in mind of Pound's:

    "Is thy bread ever more of stale rags,
    is thy bread dry as paper,
    with no mountain wheat, no strong flour"
                                    CANTO XLV
What can we suppose Pound would think of genetically engineered maize?

4. And I had almost forgotten how boring and narrow-minded dialectic
materalism could be whether it wears the label of Marxism or "democracy",
but it's a good practice for someone who likes to put everything and
everyone in an argument box of "ism","ology", or "ocracy". There's more to
life.
    Of dialectics Nietzsche writes:
    "One has a merciless weapon in one's hand. One can tyrannize with it.
One compromises when one conquers. One leaves it to one's victim to prove
that he is not an idiot. One makes others furious and helpless, while one
remains the embodiment of cool, triumphant reasonableness oneself- one
deprives one's opponent's intelligence of potency.-"

CM