EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Bill Freind <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 13:50:44 -0500
At 12:31 PM 11/22/99 -0500, you wrote:
>bill friend writes:
>>But that polemic *doesn't* invariably ground them. In fact, the majority of
>>the writers who have been cited here -- Gregor, Ledeen, Tim Redman,
>>Sternhell (about whom I'd like to second Leon Surette's recommendation) --
>>all present subtle and important discussions of a complicated phenomenon.
>>

>bill,
>   isn't the burden of the sternhell which surette excerpts
>-"marginalization of fascism," "apologetic interpretation
>of events"...,
>eloquently to argue precisely the pt of the existence
>of a polemical tyranny over this piece of cultural turf?

Isn't it pretty ironic to suggest that a "polemical tyrrany" has made it
impossible to speak about *actual* tyranny?

Here's what concerns me about this whole line of argument: it suggests that
Pound's support for Mussolini and his race prejudice *cannot* be talked
about. Other people on the list have made similar arguments, suggesting
that that approach ignores the poetry -- as if the Cantos lacked a
political and social agenda, like an 800+ page version of "She walks in
beauty." That seems extraordinarily willful to me.

Is there a body of recieved "wisdom" that distorts the historical record of
fascism? Of course. Does that make it impossible or unwise to talk about
fascism? Not a bit.

Bill Freind