EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Bill Freind <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 05:56:04 -0500
Everett Lee Lady wrote:

> The nature of the academic world today, at least in the United States
> (and I think in much of the rest of the world) demands that every major
> department in a major university must have a graduate program and
> must graduate doctoral students.  The result is that whereas fifty
> years ago, to be an academic was a calling that demanded a dedication
> that included virtually a vow of poverty, in today's world it has
> become merely a career choice.  There are simply not that many students
> around who have a true dedication to scholarly study and the ability to
> excell in it.

This is the most bizarre post I've seen in months.

Fifty years ago -- or even fifteen years ago -- a person receiving a Ph.D. was
virtually assured of finding a job. Today, a typical tenure track position in
English gets anywhere from 200-500 applicants. Once, adjunct and part time
teaching positions were rare; in some state systems non-tenure track faculty
are in the majority.

It seems to me your logic goes something like this: in the old days, when jobs
were reasonably plentiful and pay was good, individuals entered academia
because of dedication. Now, when there are fewer jobs that pay less -- and
when there's an economy that can almost guarantee a job in the business world
that pays *vastly* better than anything short of an endowed chair -- people
simply make a "career choice."

Do you actually talk to any younger academics?

Bill Freind