EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Bill Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 18:43:48 +0000
It is true there are many very specialized sections of any general interest
publication.  The Book World section covers a very broad spectrum of literary
offering, prose, poetry, fiction, non-fiction etc. for a general audience a few
notches up the intellectual ladder from the funnies.

Carolyn See's article was not a review and might have been better placed in the
magazine section.  IMHO it was very well crafted and gave an interesting
insight into the daughter of one of the more interesting & influential
literary  characters of the 20th century.  By extension, it also gave some
insight into EP. Her passing reference to Pound's position in contemporary
thought also seemed on target.

The only absolute standard for anything passing as journalism is factual
accuracy, a standard which one would hope was observed by Ms See.  Her opinions
can be debated, but her right to express them should be unchallenged.  Unless
only qualified post-doctoral fellows are allowed to comment on the literary
merits of well known (if somewhat obscure) poets, novelists and authors.  Which
would be a pity.

Bill Wagner