EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
charles moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Nov 2003 07:25:29 -0500
Rick and list members,

    I think the vowel tone leading concept linked to the loom and line of
music. Here's Duncan-
            "AT THE LOOM  PASSAGES 2"

                   "A cat's purr
in the hwirr thkk  'thgk, thkk'
   of Kirke's loom on Pound's Cantos
              'I heard a song of that kind...'

my mind a shuttle among
        set strings of the music
lets a weft of dream grow in the day time,
            an increment of associations,
    luminous soft threads,
the thrown glamour, crossing and recrossing,
       the twisted sinews underlying the work.

Back of the images, the few cords that bind
 meaning in the word-flow,
            the rivering web
   rises among wits and senses
gathering the wool into its full cloth."

Check out the rest of the poem's "stuff" in Duncan's BENDING THE BOW
pp.11-13. Duncan says in his Introduction p.vi, "The poem is not a stream of
consciousness, but an area of composition in which I work with whatever
comes into it. Only words come into it. Sounds and ideas. The tone leading
of vowels, the various percussions of consonants. The play of numbers in
stresses and syllables. In which meanings and ideas, themes and things seen,
arise. So there is not only a melody of sounds but of images. Rimes, the
reiteration of formations in the design, even puns, lead into complexities
of the field. But now the poet works with a sense of parts fitting in
relation to a design that is larger than the poem. The commune of Poetry
becomes so real that he sounds each particle in relation to parts of a great
story that he knows will never be completed. A word has the weight of an
actual stone in his hand. The tone of a vowel has the color of a wing.
'Don't mess up the perception of one sense by trying to define it in terms
of another,' Pound warnd. But we reflect that the ear is the organ not only
of hearing but of our equilibrations."

In which of his books is the owl poem?

Charlie