ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Bob Fitta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2006 15:23:26 -0400
Nonni is on point here.  I am not a season ticket holder, have to
battle to get in the door and have been shut out of games I wanted to
attend.  I don't always agree with all the decisions but I think the
athletic department under Patrick Nero and now Blake James with Joe
Roberts working with the donors has done an excellent job of raising
revenue.  However if Maine is to compete at the National level in
Hockey that we have all become accustomed too, more money is needed.
And as Nonni stated the hockey program also is the driving force on
raising revenue for the entire sports program.

Talk of a bigger arena, until someone can shell out the dough, is just
that talk.  And think of how long it takes to get off the island with
5,000 fellow fans and try and ad another 2,000 to that!  The reality is
the size of the arena is just about right.  Sure it would be nice to
have 6,000 in a new arena with no obstructed views, but that is not in
the foreseeable future.

Maine's hockey team is counted on to raise revenue for all sports and
the day that tickets are plentiful will mean that the team is faltering
and will have a direct impact on the other sports.  Talk about pressure
to stay on top, the Maine Hockey Team is the cash cow and for the good
of the athletic department we must hope that continues to be the case.

As always Nonni thanks for the reality check!  People need a reminder
that the good old days weren't always that good.  In 1983, my senior
year, the hockey team won exactly ONE game in the ECAC and lost to
Colby!  But there were plenty of seats!

Bob Fitta '83

Bob Fitta
Director of Advertising