From:
"Rowe, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2006 08:49:45 -0600
Realistically, I think Erik is talking through his hat.  Cornell isn't hated, but they are feared.  Its a high powered program capable of taking anyone down and will likely wind up winning it all in the near(er) future.  By the time you get to the last 8 or so teams, any one can get a hot goalie and take it.  Last year's Badger/Big Red game had to be one of the best games I have seen (although I had to watch it on TV).  I honestly think that game was the National Title game because I believe Cornell would have come through had they taken the Badgers.  We were lucky to beat them, but by the same token, had they beaten us, they would have been lucky to do so.  Incredible game with extremely well matched players and coaching.

Rivalries abound in all sports and all geographic locations.  Trying to decided which one is the most heated is a relatively silly exercise, but its the kind of post I enjoy reading.  I'm not certain how Minnesotans feel about it, but for Wisconsin, in any sport, any loss by Minnesota is a good outcome.  We love to see them lose, hate to see them win - but having said that I think we use the word "hate" kind of loosely because we really don't hate the players, coaches or schools; we actually admire their prowess.  Its just fun to have an intense rivalry where we "hate" the opponent.

That's my two cents.

Tom Rowe
Stuck in Div III hell with a bad team