From:
Clay Satow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2006 09:45:28 -0800
Thanks, Bob; the link worked for me this time.

Unfortunately, I don't think that the article shed much light.  It appeared that the author wasn't
particularly well informed about statistics (which you'd expect) or hockey (I thought hockey
knowledge was genetically inherited in Canada).  For example, the writer does not differentiate
between fighting majors (don't remember Joe Watson well, but I do remember Dave "the Hammer"
Schultz, who racked up huge penalty mintues but most of them were matching penalties) from the
Bertuzzi/Moore incident, which was not a fight but rather a cheap shot ambush.  Fights may inspire
players, but I doubt that the sight of a player lying in a pool of blood with a broken neck
inspires anybody.

I'd also be interested in seeing the study, but I'm not $30 interested.