Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2006 11:13:59 -0600
The article is in the Atlantic Economic Journal (see
http://springerlink.metapress.com/content/t971556g03w7/?p=a6b760807d0f45e8b1
da99b5915aa717&pi=6), but it costs $30 to download the article, which is
more than I am willing to pay. The concern would be what is and what is not
held constant, to say nothing about the measures they are using to reach
their conclusion ("a team accrued .07 POINTS and decreased their opponent's
scoring by .24 GOALS"). Not every team has an enforcer, but those with the
most prolific scorers (Wayne Gretzky) would have one (Marty McSorley), so
since only these teams would show up in the data, the results can be skewed.
Also, teams fight at only certain times - usually when a game is way out of
hand. So to conclude fights have an influence on the outcome might be
confusing cause and effect. But if I wanted to pay $30 I could probably find
out if these things are accounted for in the research.

Nathan Hampton