Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2006 12:07:41 -0600
Erik,

Thanks for opening that can or worms, and for not letting sleeping dogs lie.

There is more to same-state location (all but UM vs. UW) or same conference
membership (all but UAA vs UAF, yes UAF not UA) to make a rivalry. There is
history and tradition. Maybe Clarkson stole St. Lawrence's cow (leaving them
only with the bell) or maybe St. Lawrence reprogrammed the Clarkston arena
scoreboard to read "Clarkson Good Night". You need these stories, silliness,
and hatred to make a good rivalry. BU vs BC and MSU vs UM seem to have that
extra edge that make a real rivalry. I have not seen that edge in UW vs UM
but I do not know enough about CC vs DU.

But it is the stories that make the rivalry, the history and the tradition.
A good brawl -- on the ice or in the stands -- always helps.

Nathan Hampton