ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jan 2004 11:46:12 -0500
Can Paul Falco not read the eligibility requirements?  There is some
personal responsibility here too.  If you are only taking two or three
classes as an undergrad, hmmm.. maybe I should check to see if I am meeting
my eligiblity requirements?

When something like this happens, it's always sad for everyone else, the
kids who do pay attention and pay the price.  But as Nonni says, that is the
NCAA way.. if coaches screw up, they can leave the program and go coach
somewhere else with no penalty, while the school and his kids (who he/she
abandoned) pay the price (read: Rick Neuheisel at Colorado football).

Administrators screw up, they are not personally held responsible and
personally penalized (sans the few times people are fired for this type of
thing).  I think that if your job is to make sure that your student-athletes
are in compliance of NCAA rules, one of the EASIEST things to check is are
they registered for enough classes.  Even with hundreds of athletes, it is
not hard to run a report and check total credits BEFORE the add/drop period
ends and advise those kids who don't have enough credits.  To me, someone in
the Lowell administration should be looking for a new job this weekend.

-Deron