EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 2003 09:58:04 -0400
Rick,
I'm no Egyptologist either, but from your summary of Gardiner it seems his
note on 'heaven', namely, "i.e. the loftiest point he can reach(?)", is not
Gardiner's literal rendering of PET but his conjecture about what the
statement "A good disposition is a man's heaven" might mean... as though
Gardiner couldn't get his head around the undogmatic notion that heaven is
not "the afterlife". Undogmatic, that is, from both a Western point-of-view
and an Egyption point-of-view. Pound sees Kati as a kindred spirit, as
having taken a rather un-Egyptian undogmatic view of heaven.  Paradise is
to be found not in "the afterlife" but here on earth in one's heart.

So I think you have got it backwards when you write "Clearly Pound is
trying to link a non-man created Paradise with Kati and later with
Kung."  The paradise to which Pound refers is emphatically NOT the "Western
Christian", and your criticism of the translation for introducing an alien
western concept is based on a misunderstanding of Pound.  Pound is saying
that each man creates his own paradise -- each man *lives* his own
paradise.  Paradise is not a place good men go when they die; that is the
"artificial" paradise, the pearly-gates paradise.

Tim Romano