EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
charles moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 22:51:31 -0400
Rick,
    In his Dictionary of Hieroglyphics Budge includes a list of mean old
Pharaoh's-
    "97. Ab-meri-Ra (Meri-ka-ra I?) Khati (Axthoes [Gk.])" Here follows the
cartouche Pound uses.
    "[Names of five kings wanting here.]
    100. Uah-ka-Ra I Khati II" Here again the same cartouche used in Canto
93.
    101. Ka-meri-Ra II"

    Thank you for pointing to Canto 93. There before my very eyes was the
hieroglyphic quote, and the first word by the way is PET which does mean
"heaven/sky" for variations of the same denote the four cardinal directions
above. "PET" can be found on p. 229 of Budge.
    NFR written "nefer" is the last word of the quote, and it means "good,
pleasant, happy", etc. It is composed of a banjo-like instrument (There is
an indication that Ez played one at some time) which represents "N". A
little horned serpent is "F", and an oval mouth is "R".
    It would seem that Boris and EP follow the hieroglyphic version's word
order unless they changed this also.
    Sorry about the confusion I caused by reference to "my translation". I
meant the one I have among my references. It is by Miriam Lichtheim in
"Ancient Egyptian Literature, Vol. I The Old and Middle Kingdoms". p.99
    Heaven as looked upon as above or in the sky does not seem to me to be
all that particularly a western concept.
    Pound should have found this ancient Egyptian text to have Kung
qualities-

    "Copy your fathers, your ancestors,
    -------
    See, their words endure in books,